A CS Project: Armchair Covers

We bought new living room chairs and I immediately set about making covers for the arms.  I’ve been told arm-chair covers are “tacky” but I like them for two reasons. (1) they keep the arms of my chairs clean. I wash them as necessary and replace when they take the wear instead of my chair. (2) Armchair covers can hold things, like my Nook and the remote controllers (which seem to multiply like rabbits).

I planned for this to be a CS project because it is mostly hemming. No fooling. I cut a 30″ long by 24″ wide piece of fabric. CS hem both  ends 1″. Turn one end up another 6″ to form the pockets.  The pockets were then subdivided into 9″ and 4″ sections also with the CS.  I had second thoughts. We really put a lot of stress and strain on the pockets. So I reinforced the stitching by zig-zagging the top 1″.

I added the end piece at the serger.

I hemming the bottom 1″ first then folded in half and made a crease at the top. Next folded the long pieces in half and creased them in the center at the edge. I matched the two creases and then serged the end piece to one of the sides.  Lastly, a 1″ CS hem on the other side.

I made 4 of these, 2 for each chair.  I wanted the pockets on the chair’s outside (instead of inside where I would sit on them.) The pockets could be formed the same but the end pieces needed to be added to the opposite sides.

My Thoughts:  In the future, I probably wouldn’t divide the pockets into sections at the CS. The top edge of the divider really needs to be reinforced. Since I had to do that at the SM, I’d probably do the whole thing at the SM.  The serger was the perfect tool for adding the end pieces. I cut 7″ X 6″ rectangles and curved the unhemmed edges. The serger joined and eased the end pieces to the sides pretty easily. I do remember holding a little firmly once or twice but mostly the serger just did it’s thing.  I prepressed the hems. The JHG doesn’t completely control the fabric. Once pressed, this canvas fabric was no trouble and fed under the front guide lickety-split.  Practically pedal-to-the-medal unlike the blind hem stitch at the SM which I’m always carefully, watching. If someone told me the Type II Janome Hemmer does a better job, I’d buy they Type II hemmer.  I’ve looked at the generic down-turn folders and wonder if they would do a better job. None-the-less, my CS hemming is very good. Prepressing is not that awful of a job. Threading the CS is easier and quicker than threading either SM or Serger.

The final analysis: when I have to make covers in the future (these will wear out) I will hem at CS, divide the pockets at the SM and serge to attach the end piece. It’s a great workout of all my machines.

This entry was posted in Hemming, Project. Bookmark the permalink.


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s