Yes it’s the same tank I shared pattern information yesterday. However, I decided to post my experience on binding here, in the 900CPX Cook book.
In case you had no interest in reading about Ottobre Design, let me repeat the fabric information. I’m using a beefy jersey with 50% stretch. The fabric is so beefy, that I first thought it was interlock. I took a chance with the binding. I did not fuse with an interfacing but I did spray starch and iron-dry 3 times before cutting my strips.
I used the 1-1/4″ binder this time because Debbie Cook dropped by and left more great information in the comments on my 8/2, 8/3 and 8/4 posts. If you misses her comments, take time to go and look. Thanks Debbie for all the great info. Debbie, did you know I’ve paid for PDF’s with less information than what you provided for free? I would have happily purchased your cover stitch information in PDF format. Yes I was able to print the information from my computer, but I would have loved to have had all that done for me. –Just saying, I feel you have a very valuable product.
I think it was the combination of 3 coats of spray starch and pushing the CS further back on the table that made this a success. Thanks for all who noted and recommended this change. The binding had much less drag and I do think handled better. I did test and moved my binder several times trying to align my stitches. Had I more experience, I might have trimmed the the binding a little narrower. As you can see above, the raw edge is not quite caught in the under stitching. The public side is good.
I also hemmed using the cover stitch. After the effort of fitting, the jersey was curling badly. Even 3 coats of spray starch didn’t solve the problem. I finally added Steam A Seam to the edge and glued the hem into place. I did set up the hemmer to help me guide an even width through the CS. I have to admit that the JHG works better than chipboard and slightly better than the magnetic seam guide I sometimes use at the sewing machine.
I attached the binding “flat” which makes the application easier (I’m not sure if binding can be attached in the round). To sew the 2nd shoulder and armscyes together, I referred back to Debbie Cook’s Post “Serging Bound Neckline“. This is another post I highly recommend reading and printing. I needed the print so I could follow along at the serger. While I don’t have closeup’s, I can assure you that her instructions worked really well for me.
Whats In the CookBook
Page 012 Sample of the 1-1/4″ binding
and copy of Debbie Cook’s Post “Serging Bound Neckline“.